Subject: kmem_map problem
To: , <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/31/2001 04:33:23
Hello,

Since installing NetBSD 1.5, I have experienced crashing every few weeks.
As usage of my system has increased, so has the frequency of the crashes.
Now it crashes every 12 hours or so.

The message I get is:
panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map
stopped in httpd at _cpu_Debugger+0x6: unlk a6

(68060 Amiga, NetBSD 1.5-release compiled earlier today; Apache uses
mod_perl and has a number of Perl modules preloaded)

I was told this might be related to the number of kpt pages allocated. The
default, with 128 megs of memory, is 8 (NKPTADDSHIFT=24); I first
increased this to 12, then to 20. This made no difference.

The only reference I see in the archives is where it is suggested to raise
the number of NKMEMCLUSTERS; I do not see this option in the man pages, so
might I assume this option is depricated? (IS - I was confusing
NKMEMCLUSTERS with NMBCLUSTERS)

Should I open a PR?

Thanks,
John Klos