Subject: Re: Reverting the PCMCIADEBUG removal?
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/18/2001 13:41:11
[ On Friday, May 18, 2001 at 12:13:15 (-0400), John Hawkinson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Reverting the PCMCIADEBUG removal?
> <> wrote on Fri, 18 May 2001
> at 11:58:17 -0400 in <>:
> > So we should promote an inconsistant interface on *DEBUG's?
> Essentially -- yes. We have never had such a consistent interface,
> and we should be loathe to carefully consider the consequences of
> forcing one.

Maybe it would be better if the informational features were turned on by
a set of defines with a different naming convention.

There are already a number of *VERBOSE flags, and in my experience only
a very few of them cause too much output, or also impact performance.

Maybe those *VERBOSE flags that cause problems for normal use should be
renamed *DEBUG, and those *DEBUG flags that are useful and normally
non-intrusive information should be renamed *VERBOSE.

Then in a "GENERIC" kernel all *VERBOSE things should be turned on and
*DEBUG things turned off.  A "DEBUG" kernel would have both on.  An
"INSTALL" kernel might be somewhere in the middle, and a "GENERIC_SMALL"
kernel would have none of it.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>     <>
Planix, Inc. <>;   Secrets of the Weird <>