Subject: Re: rfork(2) needed for making Wine work
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/17/2001 08:30:09
On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 10:15:32PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:

 > I'm on the final stage of getting Wine working on NetBSD: thread.
 > For now, I have no idea how to implement native thread support,
 > so I am considering importing rfork(2) from FreeBSD.
 >
 > Any idea or comments would be welcome,

Please do not import rfork(2) from FreeBSD.  The rfork(2) interface is
pretty much broken (the name is poorly chosen -- rfork(2) is from Plan9,
and it doens't implement the original Plan9 semantics).

If you're going to do anything like this, please add a __clone(2) a'la
Linux.

Note that the NetBSD kernel already supports __clone(2) for Linux emulation.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>