Subject: Re: bizarre copyout bug(?)
To: None <>
From: Darren Reed <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/14/2001 11:12:24
In some email I received from, sie wrote:
> > due to a copyout glitch.
> >
> > It seems that copyout() can fail even when passed a zero length, if the
> > userland pointer is pointing into kernel space.  At least on the sparc.
> i think it's correct behavior.

A version of copy{in,out}() which applied the correct behaviour depending
on whether it noticed a poiinter was kernel or user space might be useful.
This has the advantage of when and if we get to a point where the kernel is
repsonsible for those code paths being used, as well as user programs, that
we don't need to check for special conditions and call bcopy specifically.