Subject: Re: Using unused sysctl's
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/09/2001 23:21:08
itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >Currently there's two sysctl's undef hw. that are unused (and never
> >have been - they were in the initial import):
> >
> >	{ "disknames", CTLTYPE_STRING }	/* strings: disk drive names */
> >	{ "diskstats", CTLTYPE_STRUCT }	/* struct: diskstats[] */
> >
> >FreeBSD doesn't appear to use these either (and I'm assuming that
> >OpenBSD doesn't either).  I don't have access to any BSDI boxes to
> >check there.  I'd like to use these to return info about disk usage
> >(that will be used by iostat amongst other things).
>
> 	as far as i have checked, BSD/OS 4.2 is using both of them.

Hmm, I did some digging and found at least UCD SNMP uses these sysctls.
Would it be juju to reuse those mib numbers/names for a different
purpose?

I could do the same as the "disknames" MIB with NUL seperated disknames,
but "diskstats" I'd want to return a NetBSD structure, not a BSD/OS
structure (and one that's future proof/64-bit safe like kern_proc2).

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/