Subject: Using unused sysctl's
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/09/2001 14:10:28
Folks,

Currently there's two sysctl's undef hw. that are unused (and never
have been - they were in the initial import):

	{ "disknames", CTLTYPE_STRING }	/* strings: disk drive names */
	{ "diskstats", CTLTYPE_STRUCT }	/* struct: diskstats[] */

FreeBSD doesn't appear to use these either (and I'm assuming that
OpenBSD doesn't either).  I don't have access to any BSDI boxes to
check there.  I'd like to use these to return info about disk usage
(that will be used by iostat amongst other things).

From the looks of things, "disknames" was intended to return a NUL
seperated list of attached disks.  I'd like to change this so that it
returns a space seperated list instead - I suspect the most common use
of this sysctl would be as

	disklist=`sysctl hw.disknames`

in shell scripts, and having the list returned NUL seperated doesn't
win anything...

Anyone against this?

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/