Subject: Re: looking for devices on PCI bus
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/03/2001 11:00:56
On Thu, 3 May 2001, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >I don't think we were talking about two contradicting configuration
> >frameworks. Yes, many details were left vague, but I don't think we were
> >going to come up w/ two totally independent frameworks...
>
> Bill,
>
> my guess is that you're hearing concern that the lack of details, the
> targeting of one specific bus, and the changes from how things work
> now, all mnake it _sound_ like we'll end up with two distinct frameworks.

No, I'm responding/reacting to the fact that messages have objected to
"different frameworks" when I thought we really were talking about
extending our existing framework.

> >>From my understanding of Manuel's comments, there are pciide chips out
> >there where the vendor didn't bump the version of the pciide component
> >when changing it. The only way to correctly deal with these chips is to
> >look at the version of another pci device, and act accordingly.
> >
> >So what do we do?
>
> How do other OSes do with such mis-designed hardware?
> Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD in particular?

Unsure. But I think Manuel mentioned that Linux scans for the revision of
the PCI-ISA bridge, which is where this whole thread began. :-)

Take care,

Bill