Subject: Re: looking for devices on PCI bus
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/03/2001 11:17:31
>I don't think we were talking about two contradicting configuration
>frameworks. Yes, many details were left vague, but I don't think we were
>going to come up w/ two totally independent frameworks...

Bill,

my guess is that you're hearing concern that the lack of details, the
targeting of one specific bus, and the changes from how things work
now, all mnake it _sound_ like we'll end up with two distinct frameworks.

[...]

>The problem here is that we'd need to also extend the config system to be
>able to inject more locators once booted (and also be able to delete
>them). My thoughts had been to let the lkm code implicitly add a
>driverfoo* at pci ? device ? function ? ..

Insert, yes. If we restrict the scope to wildcarding, that makes it easier.

[...]

>>From my understanding of Manuel's comments, there are pciide chips out
>there where the vendor didn't bump the version of the pciide component
>when changing it. The only way to correctly deal with these chips is to
>look at the version of another pci device, and act accordingly.
>
>So what do we do?

How do other OSes do with such mis-designed hardware?
Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD in particular?