Subject: Re: looking for devices on PCI bus
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/02/2001 17:41:10
fvdl@wasabisystems.com said:
> What Manuel needs is a hack for the via 686 pciide driver. That driver
> needs to know the revision of another device on the PCI bus (the
> PCI-ISA bridge in the same chipset). So it needs to find that device,
> and the only way is to scan pci config space.

If the PCI-ISA bridge is in the same chipset, its bus/device/function
is well known, so the whole thing is not needed.
I don't know if this applies to this particular chipset, but it might
be even dangerous to use such a find_device finction at this point -
there are systems with two PCI-ISA bridges (laptop with docking station).

(And: Adding such a pseudo-generic function implies the danger thit it will
actually be used, eg for LKMs, which would be a gross violation of our
autoconfiguration philosophy. That's what we have xxxmatch() functions for.
But this off-topic, I know...)

best regards
Matthias