Subject: Re: looking for devices on PCI bus
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Michael Lyle <mlyle@recourse.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2001 17:09:24
On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 05:07:08PM -0700, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> It would seem to be a mistake to do something which:
>
> 	* involved significant code size increase, or
> 	* involved significant data size increase
>
> to accomodate something which happens almost never.

The thing is.. the table is small-- how many pci devices are in the
system, anyways?  and you -can't- do hotplug right without this kind of
functionality.  e.g. you could use an exceptionall small linked list for
this purpose, e.g. <20 bytes per device.

It also assumes that rescanning things after beginning to use them is
safe-- which might not necessarily be a safe assumption with broken
hardware.

> > The contents of this message are confidential.
> > Copyright 2001 M. Lyle
>
> If it's confidential, then you really shouldn't be sending it to a
> public e-mail list, now should you...  8-)

sorry, forgot to delete it from my .sig this time :P
> cgd

mike

--
Michael P. Lyle