Subject: Re: PR 7170 -- init and /dev/console
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/30/2001 14:28:20
[ On Monday, April 30, 2001 at 13:56:08 (-0400), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: PR 7170 -- init and /dev/console
>
> The fact that the major/minor for /dev/console (among other devices) is not
> consistent across NetBSD architectures, let alone across OS's, only makes
> this more annoying.

Just one tiny question about this....

From what I can tell from /usr/src/etc/*/MAKEDEV (which I am assuming to
be the canonical definitons of the major,minor numbers for /dev things)
there are only three ports which vary from using 0,0 and all of these
variants happen to use 2,0.  Is the reason why they vary from the 0,0
"standard" for NetBSD because they want to share critical parts of /dev
with some other OS that is also commonly found on these same platforms?
If not is there any reason why they could not be brought into
conformance with all other NetBSD ports?  Even if so is such sharing
really all that critical once NetBSD is "self-hosting"?

(Of course even if NetBSD's /dev/console was 0,0 across all ports I'd
still want `init' to be started with its stdio connected to the kernel's
current console device and not have to have it depend on the filesystem
integrity and correctness.)

--
							Greg A. Woods