Subject: Re: PR 7170 -- init and /dev/console
To: Michael Lyle <mlyle@recourse.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/29/2001 23:04:06
On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Michael Lyle wrote:

# On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 02:25:21PM -0700, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
# > I actually did this years ago.
# >
# > The problem is that every transition between single and multi-user mode
# > requires the console device to be close(2)d, open(2)ed and revoke(2)ed,
# > so at best it helps you through single-user and then you lose anyway.
# > Plus, in anything other than a diskless environment, if your /dev is
# > toast you can't upgrade / to r/w to fix it.  So it didn't seem like
# > much of a gain, and I punted.
#
# Ah-- that's a good point.  That seems like to me another reason why it
# might be desirable to be able to open() arbitrary devices without
# necessarily having to have an inode for them.

At the risk of sounding REALLY, really stewpid, could we implement a
devopen(dev_t dev, filemode_t fmode) /* or should that be
devopen(dev_t *dev, filemode_t *fmode)? */?

NOTE: filemode is the operation mode, not a file (really inode) creation
mode.

Problems I see are:

	- it would have to be a super-user-only call, since there are no
	  permissions inherent in a device.
	- The file descriptor returned by devopen() would be useless passed
	  to anything other than read(), write(), ioctl() or close();
	  in particular any of the f*() calls which do inode operations
	  would be problematic (how would any of the meaningful fields be
	  filled in?).  I was going to say i had my doubts about ioctl(),
	  but they seem to operate dependent on the mode in which the open()
	  occurred, rather than on any status information.
	- Would there even be a stat structure associated with such an fd?
	  It'd be interesting filling in values.

"But other than that..." :-)

I didn't suggest an alternate fd structure for this because it _needs_ to
be interoperable with read(), write(), ioctl() and close().

# Mike
				--*greywolf;
--
If anyone requests a reason as to why Windows NT is inferior to UNIX,
refer them to the process scheduler, for starters.  Of course, users