Subject: Re: PR 7170 -- init and /dev/console
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Michael Lyle <mlyle@recourse.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/29/2001 16:21:43
On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 02:25:21PM -0700, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> I actually did this years ago.
>
> The problem is that every transition between single and multi-user mode
> requires the console device to be close(2)d, open(2)ed and revoke(2)ed,
> so at best it helps you through single-user and then you lose anyway.
> Plus, in anything other than a diskless environment, if your /dev is
> toast you can't upgrade / to r/w to fix it.  So it didn't seem like
> much of a gain, and I punted.

Ah-- that's a good point.  That seems like to me another reason why it
might be desirable to be able to open() arbitrary devices without
necessarily having to have an inode for them.

Mike

--
Michael P. Lyle
Chief Technical Officer

The contents of this message are confidential.
Copyright 2001 M. Lyle