Subject: Re: Changes to firewire code
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/29/2001 15:22:40
>> 2. Move everything to splbio and let the underlying devices raise spl as
>>    appropriate for their specific function (i.e. the if_fw code needs to raise
>>    splnet when moving packets around).
>
>Why at splbio ? While we deal with firewire internal states internally,
>there's no need to block other's devices interrupt I think. As you're
>in a kthread anyway, maybe you could use real locks ?

Well, the card has to run at some IPL level for it's real interrupt handler.
I suppose I could change it to use locks but the kthread still has to raise
splbio before sleeping to avoid a wakeup race (which bit me more than once
in testing).

Like I mentioned, what would be really useful is an easy way to just block
your own interrupt (rather than the larger scale splXXX).

James