Subject: Re: ncr53c9x on thorpej-scsipi (Re: CVS commit: syssrc)
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/27/2001 16:02:52
On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 07:46:11AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

 > How about the attached patch?
 >
 > I'm not sure when request sense commands are issued from mid-layer,
 > but all request sense stuff should be removed from each HBA driver?

So, for HBA hardware that automatically does the request-sense (i.e.
BusLogic, etc.), the mid-layer should be able to handle that.  That
is, if there is an error, and XS_SENSE is in the scsipi_xfer error word,
then the mid-layer should *NOT* request sense again :-)

For HBA hardware that requires software to do it (i.e. the 53c9x, etc.),
the the mid-layer should do it and HBA drivers should not.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>