Subject: Re: Poor behavior on I/O error...
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/23/2001 15:05:40
On Sun 22 Apr 2001 at 09:29:41 -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Frank van der Linden wrote:
>
> : > IIRC, there is a BIOS call on i386 to check if there is a medium
> : > loaded in the drive; that would be worth checking.
> :
> : Well.. if the BIOS can do it, it must be doable by the driver itself
> : which would obviously the preferable solution.
>
> This depends on the drive's (and controller's) ability to send signals on
> the DC (diskchange) line -- not all do, so you need to keep that in mind
> when adding the support.

My experiency from Amiga floppy drives is that many drives can't send
the media change signal. Therefore it is not possible(*) to just use
any old drive in an Amiga, and I would expect the same problem here,
even more so because I would expect the signal not to be hooked up at
all in a typical (**) pc.

(*): unless you want to do without the disk change detection, which is
quite a bother, since AmigaOS assumes it works.

(**): opinion about pc hardware deleted.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder --Soep van de dag, wat zal dat zijn
\X/ land.nl     --wat kan dat wezen, beter maar het ergste vrezen -Boy Bensdorp