Subject: Re: Why is cpu_reboot arch dependent
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: John Fremlin <chief@bandits.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/22/2001 21:01:09
matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:

[...]

> i'm not so sure this is true!  cpu_reboot() is certainly quite MD as
> far as i can tell.  i checked a few and while they mostly change the
> same variables (which _are_ MD variables, and not all are the same),
> the job of cpu_reboot() is the MD things required to do for a
> reboot.  it is _designed_ to be an MD routine.  it often has special
> asm() calls, etc.

Whoops! I checked hpcarm and dreamcast and they seemed to be rather
similar so I generalised a bit too far. OTOH there is a lot of cut and
pasted code in these functions :-(

I don't understand the VAX cpu_reboot, it seems that doshutdownhooks
is called iff (howto & RB_HALT) which is not at all like the other
archs (normally it's always called).

[...]

--

	http://www.penguinpowered.com/~vii