Subject: Re: SYN cookie ?
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/18/2001 19:49:15
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:57:51AM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> Others (notably SSH, FTP, SMTP) involve the server speaking first and
> the client waiting for a application-layer message before sending
> anything -- and, for those protocols, if the ACK of the SYN-ACK is
> lost, the clients will wait forever (or until the user or client loses
> patience) for the server to retransmit.

Ah... I think I understand, but...

this is something the end node would do, right? So either we (NetBSD) are
the server node and believe we don't need it at all, even if we'd talk a
client-first protocol, or the server node is not NetBSD, in which case we
can't do anything about it, right?

Regards,
	Ignatios