Subject: midi stuff
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Kilpatrick <andrew@andrewkilpatrick.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/13/2001 22:36:08
Hi,

I'm working on some audio and music software on NetBSD, I'm
hoping that someone (maybe me if I learn) will add support
for better audio and MIDI interfaces for NetBSD, but until
then I'm working on some application code.

I started working on MIDI code the other day, and I found that
the MIDI driver doesn't work very well. The state machine doesn't
handle all the possible states for MIDI messages, and quickly
gets into an endless loop, eventually overrunning its buffer and
causing a panic.

Anyway, I started designing a new state machine that handles the
incoming messages properly, but am running into some trouble because
the data coming into this module is often wrong. I'm pretty sure my
MIDI interface isn't broken. It's currently a cheesy AWE32 with the
game port MIDI port, because my USB interface isn't supported. I'm
not sure what is at fault.

If anyone can help me out before I spend a lot of time shooting in
the dark, it would be great. I'm starting to dig a bit of kernel code
but I'm still in over my head.

Cheers,

Andrew Kilpatrick