Subject: Large Drives and old BIOS's
To: NetBSD Tech Kern <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pelley <mike@pelley.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/12/2001 16:14:10
I have a 60 gig maxtor drive that I would like to move to an older P2
machine.  Unfortunately, that machine will not boot with the drive
plugged in unless I set the cylinder limitation jumper (or disable the
IDE controller in the BIOS).

Normally, users would then install maxblast which does a
READ_NATIVE_MAX_ADDRESS (or something similar) to get the size of the
drive, and then a SET_MAX_ADDRESS to correct the size visable to the os.
Since this occurs after the BIOS has probed the drive, everybody is happy.

Under Linux there is a little program called setmax.c available that
will do the same thing - it is available at
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/setmax.c.  I'd like to write a similar
program for netbsd but could use some pointers.  Specifically, if
someone could give me some hints about where functions available in
linux's linux/hdreg.h might be in netbsd that would save me some effort.

Ideally, this would be a kernel patch as well (there is also a kernel
patch for linux), but I thought I'd start with this.

Thanks!

Mike.