Subject: Calling a function in pciide() from user space?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/11/2001 14:05:38
Hi All

We have an application that allows us to Hot Swap PCI IDE drives, at the
hardware level. I am currently working on the NetBSD kernel and user
software to enable this (similar to the PCMCIA detach and re-attach). I have
written two functions that do this - they call modified versions of
wdcdetach() and wdcattach(). However, the question is, where to call these
from? The logical place to me is pciide() - the controller calls the
channel, which calls the disk to be detached/reattached.

However, I need to trigger the detach and reattach manually from user
space - does anybody have any suggestions of a good way to do this? ioctls()
etc?

Thanks
 Bruce