Subject: RE: Calling a function in pciide() from user space?
To: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/11/2001 09:59:06
On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Bruce Martin wrote:

> Thanks, I didn't even know atactl() existed, so it was interesting to take a
> look at it. However, it leaves me with the same problem: it needs a device
> name (like /dev/wd0d), and so, although something like "atactl /dev/wd1d
> detach" makes sense, something like "atactl /dev/wd1d reattach" does not
> make sense, as wd1 does not exist after the detach. I need some way to call
> in on the pciide level, or at least the wdc level, to say "detach drive x on
> channel y", or "check your channels for new drives"...

Perhaps scsictl would have some info, then, as it has a "scan" command
which is supposed to pick up additions/deletions from the SCSI chain.  IDK
how different the code is between atactl and scsictl, but it might have a
few ideas tucked into it.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas ;-) sorry...

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
   "I wonder how many people actually read my .sig?"