Subject: Re: Faster pipes from FreeBSD
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/11/2001 12:31:46
On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 03:50:42AM -0700, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> > PTRACE_SYSCALL 3 years ago and decided that it was too much of a
> > pain to bash it in, and needed some serious cleanup. Well, 3 years
> > have passed and the code is not in the tree. So is my MI fdc driver
> Aren't there ways we can option in these sorts of changes?
>
> IMHO the real threat here is that experimental code needs to be clearly
> labeled, so that people will not mistake its behavior for Law and
> inadvertently propagate bad solutions.

How about flagging experimental features in a way that config could
warn/ignore/reject experimental options depending on command line flags?
I guess we could even go as far as making config in releases default to
reject experimental features?

Obviously the fact that a feature is experimental would need documenting
somewhere too (either the man page, or perhaps the GENERIC config file).

Ian.