Subject: Re: Kernel include files proposal
To: Jaromír\" Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/10/2001 22:00:35
In some email I received from Jarom=EDr" Dolecek, sie wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to propose simple rule for installing kernel include
> files to under /usr/include:
>=20
>          Our userland uses it or standards mandate it.
>=20
> I think it's not appropriate to install random headers
> "just in case".
>=20
> Also, I'd like to seriously trim number of sys/dev/ headers installed
> to under /usr/include/dev/ down. Currently, it occupies like 2.5MB and
> most stuff (if not all) is useless for userland.
>=20
> Opinions?

Is 2.5MB worth the effort ?
For most people, that's less than 1% of their disks, these days.

The problem, as I see it, is how do you decide what to trim and
what not to trim ?  What happens when a tool is extended, or
developed, that requries one of them ?  Seems to me to be easier
and less inviting of trouble to just leave them there..

Darren