Subject: Re: Kernel include files proposal
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dolecek?= <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2001 23:58:31
On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Jaromír Dolecek wrote:

# Hi,
# I'd like to propose simple rule for installing kernel include
# files to under /usr/include:
#
#          Our userland uses it or standards mandate it.
#
# I think it's not appropriate to install random headers
# "just in case".
#
# Also, I'd like to seriously trim number of sys/dev/ headers installed
# to under /usr/include/dev/ down. Currently, it occupies like 2.5MB and
# most stuff (if not all) is useless for userland.
#
# Opinions?

"Historic precedent indicates it."  BSD's include tree has always included
an overlay of /sys/*/*.h.

Whether this is symlinks or copies is implementation-dependent, however.
We had it as copies ages ago because not everyone was allowed source
access.  With the advent of opensource, this becomes moot.

I say they should at least be symlinked in.

#
# Jaromir
# --
# Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
# NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=<>=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!
#

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: It's not Windows.