Subject: Re: ACL
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2001 20:51:47
AFAIK, AFS's ACL (wow all the acronyms :) basics were inherited from an
even older project at CMU, the RFS, which was used in the Mach environment
here . AFS superceded it and then they left and founded transarc. Yes,
ACLs predate at least UNIX on something other than PDP11's. I'd probably
bet that ACLs in some form or another probably went back to the 60s. I'd
imagine that at least os360, its, multics, and maybe tops10 supported
something of the kind? those are all children of the 60s.
I can probably mail some dead-tree AFS docos to somebody interested, if
the stuff hasnt been put online yet.

isildur