Subject: Re: struct fileops: why first arg of stat function is void *
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2001 08:27:52
Luke Mewburn wrote:
> > The primary reason being that vn_stat() is used outside of fileops
> > context couple of times (like in other *stat(2) calls) and it didn't
> > seem right to push a struct file * there.
>
> so why not follow what freebsd did and put a vn_statfile() in as the
> fileops fo_stat function, which is a wrapper to vn_stat()?
>
> as it appears that we were inspired by freebsd for this change, i
> can't see why we're gratuitiously incompatible...

Yeah, the addition of stat function was inspired by FreeBSD, but I
didn't look at how exactly they dealt with vn_stat().
I'll do it way you propose, I just didn't realized it's possible
to do it this way.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=<>=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!