Subject: Re: Faster pipes from FreeBSD
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Tyrel Beede <tb90@mail.csuchico.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/08/2001 12:54:38
"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

> matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:
>
> > i fail to see why branches fail to provide a place for unfinished work....
>
> Sometimes they're right, sometimes the mechanism is too
> heavyweight. The other issue is that it isn't always obvious that the
> work exists if it is on a branch in the sense that people will not
> find it by casually browsing...

Also, how would the branches holding the half-finished code be managed.  Would
there be a single branch which holds all of the un-finished code?  Would there
be a single branch for all related half-finished projects?  It would seem to me
that the management aspect of using branches for code which nobody is actually
working on would be too much trouble.  After all isn't a branch more of a
"in-development" state.  Perhaps, because we can't be sure that even if the
code was out there that somebody would be working on it, we could post it to
the current projects area and list them as volunteers needed.  That way the
code is on our site, easy to find, and clearly labled as needing somebody to
take over work on it.  It would also be a good place to post current problems
with the code.

Tyrel