Subject: Re: Faster pipes from FreeBSD
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/08/2001 13:17:14
Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com> writes:
> > PTRACE_SYSCALL 3 years ago and decided that it was too much of a
> > pain to bash it in, and needed some serious cleanup. Well, 3 years
> > have passed and the code is not in the tree. So is my MI fdc driver
>
> Aren't there ways we can option in these sorts of changes?
>
> Or is the #ifdef nest too much trouble.
>
> IMHO the real threat here is that experimental code needs to be clearly
> labeled, so that people will not mistake its behavior for Law and
> inadvertently propagate bad solutions.

Maybe what we need is to have a spot on the ftp site for "I was
working on this and never finished, and if you would like to take this
code and finish the TODO list be my guest". The shame is not so much
that the original author never got it clean enough as that no one else
has the chance to do the work either so long as the code isn't public.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com