Subject: Re: Faster pipes from FreeBSD
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/08/2001 03:50:42
> PTRACE_SYSCALL 3 years ago and decided that it was too much of a
> pain to bash it in, and needed some serious cleanup. Well, 3 years
> have passed and the code is not in the tree. So is my MI fdc driver

Aren't there ways we can option in these sorts of changes?

Or is the #ifdef nest too much trouble.

IMHO the real threat here is that experimental code needs to be clearly
labeled, so that people will not mistake its behavior for Law and
inadvertently propagate bad solutions.

If a "safe" way to get the code into the tree can be found, then that is
a serious win because it enables people to pick up and run with the code
much more easily than they would be able to otherwise.

Currently we have projects occurring on branches, which accomplishes this,
but at the cost of periodic merges. You get too stale relative to the trunk,
and you've got merge hell before you know it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com