Subject: UBC, interactive performance, etc
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Lars Heidieker <lars@heidieker.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/07/2001 16:25:41
Hi,

here is my patch for ubc/uvm, it takes a different approach to deal with the
problem of interactive performance.
Basiclly the scanner for the inactive queue checkes if the uvmexp.vnodepages
is more than 1/3 of the entire (phys) memory if so the scanner will only flush
a few pages (regardless of what kind) and then it will scan for pages that are
fs-cache (vnode pages with a uobj->uo_refs < 2, therefor not mapped by any
process).
If the uvmexp.vnodepages is less then 1/3 it uses the "normal" behaviour
(making no difference between memory types).
This should allow the fs-cache to grow up to 1/3 quiet quickly as it has the
same priority than all other mem, but afterwards the growths will be much
slower.
First test on my machine are quiet positive...

lars