Subject: Re: Faster pipes from FreeBSD
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/06/2001 19:58:38
Chuck Silvers wrote:
> any idea why there are such large variations in the results between runs?

Don't know. I was running it from singleuser, specifically to avoid
such things. Maybe the run was too short to account for cache misses
or something like that. And the testing program was probably
too simple minded too.

> UVM page-loaning should work pretty well for the reduced-copy variation.
> it should be possible to avoid copying the data at all in certain
> circumstances, but I don't know how often that would work out in practice.

Yeah, definitely worth a try (once I realize how it exactly works :)

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=<>=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!