Subject: Re: Faster pipes from FreeBSD
To: Jarom r <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/06/2001 20:08:05
"Jarom r" Dolecek wrote:

> I've made a stab at porting the FreeBSD sys_pipe() implementation to
> NetBSD (that implementation was written by John S. Dyson). The
> basics are finished, the thing works quite nicely and indeed about
> 1.5-7x faster than out current pipes (wow!).

Cool!  My only comment so far is than a panic in pipespace() seems a bit
extreme (and is a potential DoS attack?) - shouldn't sys_pipe just fail
in this case if not more kvm can be allocated?

lmbench (and probably hbench) also include some pipe benchmarks (both
bandwith and latency tests from memory) - you might want to check them
out.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/