Subject: Re: ACL
To: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hitl.washington.edu>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2001 20:32:56
Konrad Schroder said:

>I think that's the point: *you* don't, but other people do.  Phil Nelson
>does, according to his post.  I do.

The point that I haven't seen answered is why not have two file
systems. One being bog standard FFS and the other being FFS with
the addition of ACLs?

>I would like to be able to use NetBSD where I currently use Solaris at
>work, but I can't, for this and other reasons.  Saying "if you want that
>you have to not use NetBSD" is not a winning argument to my ears.

As a consultant I work with SunOS4, Solaris, AIX, HPUX, and various
versions of DEC UNIX. You can't use ACLs across those platfroms either.
And there's still Unixware, SCO OpenServer, MPE/IX, Dynix/ptx and others
out there. ACLs are good when you need them, but if you don't then they
are just useless overhead in the filesystem.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com