Subject: Re: ACL
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2001 18:12:06
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 08:32:13PM +0200, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:
> > Now I have to create a separate group for every
> > project and add the relevant users to all groups they need to belong to.
> what's bad in it?!

As others have pointed out, it doesn't scale well.  Basically, you have
a combinatorial problem: there are N users, M files/directories/objects,
and P sets of permissions.  You certainly don't need all combinations of
users/objects/permissions, but as the number of users and objects grows,
so (generally) does the number of unique permission groupings.  As
NetBSD systems are used in larger and larger configurations, ACLs look
much more intriguing to many more people.

> or may not. mostly people's that want "new technologies" etc. can't code.

Heh.  Often, it's "don't have time to code everything".

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service