Subject: Re: UBC, interactive performance, etc
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2001 13:05:03
> I'd say we should probably say we should use 64 MB as the design
> point for a "small-memory workstation"; anything smaller than that
> just isn't going to run netscape well no matter what we do.

That has got to be the most unbelievably twisted criterion for a
"small-memory workstation" I've ever heard.

> or is someone going to argue that they live comfortably in 32 MB?

32?  16!  All you have to do is avoid bloatware...like nutscrape,
xterm, tvtwm....

Here's a list of the product of /kern/pagesize and /kern/physmem on my
various machines, sorted numerically and tagged with a brief
description of what port and hardware each machine is:

 9433088   vax		vax	MicroVAX-II
16322560 * callisto	sparc	SPARC LX
16572416   stone	sparc	SPARC IPX
16588800   iron		sparc	SPARC IPX
16629760   nfs-server	sparc	SPARC IPX
16777216   crystal	mac68k	Mac IIci
25149440 * twig		sun3	Sun-3/60
33144832   t-d		i386	AMD K6-2/500
33148928 * sparkle	sparc	SPARCstation 4
33546240   next		next68k	NeXT "black slab"
39878656   nought	alpha	AXPpci33/166
50331648   jon		macppc	Power Macintosh 4400

Of these, the machines I use most heavily are sparkle, callisto, and
twig, which three I have marked with a * in the above list.  Sparkle
and callisto are the major "seat" machines; their hardware handles my X
sessions.  vax, next, and nought are not normally left turned on.

I've never even tried to netscape on any of them, ever, though, so I
have no idea whether it runs well.  Which I suppose means you don't
know whether they count as small-memory workstations.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca