Subject: Re: ACL
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2001 19:30:56
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 05:50:21PM +0200, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:
> i've reading this maillist archives and see long discussion about ACL
> implementing.
>
> PLEASE DO NOT DO IT! it's not an argument that it's needed "because it
> will make easier to use both windoze and netbsd in the same network".
>
> if you like system that implement everything new and trying to
> complement (or to compete with) windoze or keeping on with all new
> commercial features it's already done.

Hmm, ACL is nothing _new_ - I used ACL's on AIX over 10 years ago and
I'm sure ACL wasn't a new thing even then.

I would like to use ACL's on NetBSD.  For example, on a CVS server which
hosts multiple projects with many different groups of people, I could
allow the right persons to access the projects they are working on and
keep the others out.  Now I have to create a separate group for every
project and add the relevant users to all groups they need to belong to.

This is just one example.. I could use ACL's every now and then and they
would simplify things.

I know the feeling "I like NetBSD as it is, don't touch anything!" but..
I also want NetBSD to gain more features, more drivers, and even more
users (who may become developers).  I don't know if an operating system
can be successful without users...

  -jm