Subject: Re: UBC, interactive performance, etc
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2001 18:08:35
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 08:55:51AM -0700, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> I'll question your math here...
> looking at the netscape on my machine, the total text size for netscape
> and all the shared libraries it uses is about 14 MB, and most data-section
> pages are probably modified and thus would could as "anon" pages in UVM
> and not "vtext".  this should easily fit in 25 MB (if shared libs were
> accounted properly, which they're not).

On my machine:

  894 fvdl       2    0    20M   15M run       0:01  3.04%  2.83% netscape
  238 fvdl       2    0  6248K   53M sleep     1:09  1.22%  1.22% XF86_SVGA

..and this while netscape was only just started up. I do believe that
this can exceed the 25M. I had to try hard, but I did manage to get
netscape partly paged out by running an 1G bonnie and not touching
it for a bit (on a 512M machine). And imagine a 128M machine, on
which 5% is some 6M.

> for both of these ideas, it'd be nice if someone could post diffs
> so that the people who are reporting problems can try them.

Yep. Unfortunately I'll hardly have time myself the coming weeks.
It's not hard to patch though, people can easily experiment with it.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/