Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc [thorpej_scsipi]
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/02/2001 14:29:59
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 12:49:53PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>
>  > In this model, is it acceptable to ignore tag value (not number) for HBAs that
>  > don't allow you to specify tag value?
>
> That's fine, yes, but if the host has control over the tag value, we
> should be using the value provided by the host.
>
> For e.g. the Buslogic (and QLogic, I guess, is why you asked :-), they
> generally already use smallest-available-tag-value allocators.

Yes, and yes....

QLogic starts at 1, and goes up (I've been working some issues with tags in
target mode, and interestingly enough, QLogic doesn't use 0 as a tag value
(which is legal, I believe)).

You might note, btw, that tags should probably be wider than 8 bits. If we
were to implement a more lower level FC driver in NetBSD (e.g., Tachyon chip
based), we'd probably want to use midlayer tag IDs for the OX_ID (open
exchange identifier), and those are 16 bits I believe.

-matt