Subject: Re: Considering port to new processor
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/31/2001 17:08:52
In message <Pine.BSI.4.21.0103311644140.12471-100000@NameServer.Culver.Net>Mike
 Cheponis writes

>I have 4 MB in my PDP-11/70.  Doesn't a minimal NetBSD run on 4 MB on i386?
>Seems like it should be possible (in theory, at least) to do the port.

The issue isn't just real memory: its addressing, too. The 11/70 is
still limited to 64k address spaces, maybe with split I/D if you add
support for that.  You'd have to restructure the kernel from a
monolithic kenrel, into a set of individual processes (or subsystems,)
each of which fit within a 64k address space.

Thats where the advise to look at 2.11BSD comes from.