Subject: MP/Threading...
To: BSD Kernel <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/20/2001 10:28:45
I've heard rumours flying about that NetBSD 2.0 (somewhere down the road)
will be a BigLock [TM] MP thing.

I was seriously hoping that BigLock would never see an official release.
It just seems the wrong thing to do.  Yes, it's a stepping stone, and should
probably be made available in a -current or -mp branch, but it just seemed
to me that we could beat the game by being the first OS to skip the BigLock
scheme on a release and just go *wham* "Here we are - granular-lock SMP".

...or is that entirely unreasonable (in which case I apologise for
my unreasoning)?

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Multi-platform OS