Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/17/2001 17:00:32
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 03:34:06PM +0100, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> > On Thu 08 Mar 2001 at 10:50:42 -0800, Phil Nelson wrote:
> > > 2) Under the current implementation in NetBSD, a user may belong
> > > to a maximum of 16 groups.  Let me quote <sys/syslimits.h>
> > >
> > > #define NGROUPS_MAX                16   /* max supplemental group id's */
> >
> > In v7, one user could be in any number of groups but only one at a time.
> > There was a (presumably shell-builtin) command to switch to any group
> > one belonged to (setgrp, I think). BSD introduced the feature of being
> > in multiple groups at once, and the setgrp command disappeared.
>
> Nit alert - newgrp.

And I guess someone then decided that newgrp had no use, so deleted it.  However, it appears that they forgot that newgrp could be used with a password to gain access to a group to which one was not normally a member -- useful at times when you need occasional access to more groups than BSD can support for a single user.

R.