Subject: Re: Importing kqueue's from FreeBSD...
To: None <lukem@wasabisystems.com, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/15/2001 15:32:05
In article <local.mail.netbsd-tech-kern/20010316075619.F6988@wasabisystems.com> you write:
>On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 04:59:25PM -0000, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:
>>
>> 	After I saw a presentation at BSDCon 2000 last year about the
>> 	implementation of kqueue in FreeBSD, a few NetBSD developers
>> 	present decided that it's definately worth a look for NetBSD.
>>
>> 	kqueue (aka `kevent') is a generic and scalable event
>> 	notification facility, developed by Jonathan Lemon of FreeBSD.
>>
>> 	It's generic: you can monitor socket events, filesystem events
>> 	such as `file ready to read', vnode operations such as `file has been
>> 	deleted', `directory has been modified', signals delivered to a
>> 	process, process creation/exit, etc.
>>
>> If you want to claim it is a generic event mechanism it also
>> needs to support device events:  insertion, removal, errors,
>> etc.
>
>We could add a new event type (EVFILT_DEVICE (?)) and add support into
>various device layers to raise this event. I have no objection to
>doing this; it makes perfect sense to me.

Yup, this is something that should be done eventually; I'd like to
try and keep all 3 *BSD's in sync if possible.  (OpenBSD has already
brought over the code).

I also didn't want to try and write every possible filter type ahead
of time, but wanted to wait until there was actually a need for them.

In any case, I'm glad to see kqueue go into NetBSD, and would be
happy to provide any assistance if needed.
--
Jonathan