Subject: Any resolution for LKM issues?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/15/2001 15:15:54
Disregarding entirely the background of why I want them, considering
the conversation devolved into a discussion strictly of that last
time, rather than how to make a basic function for development of
OS-related stuff work on one of our ports:

1. Why do LKMs not work on the macppc (or any powerpc, as near as I
can tell) port? (I actually know the answer to this one in part, but
I'm looking for some new thoughts.)

2. What would be necessary to make them work? (I'm not in favor of
the "get a non-NetBSD gcc" or "don't use any builtins" options here,
thanks.)

3. Is there any hope of this happening in an even remotely timely
manner? (Or, "What can I do to make this happen NOW?")

For reference, have a look at the "Do LKMs work *at*all* on
powerpc platforms?" and "Sheesh. More LKMs. And some firewall
stupidity." threads on the port-macppc mailing list at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2000/08/. (I'm pretty sure
both threads are entirely contained in August.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net