Subject: Re: Importing kqueue's from FreeBSD...
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/15/2001 09:09:28
Luke Mewburn wrote:
> kqueue (aka `kevent') is a generic and scalable event
> notification facility, developed by Jonathan Lemon of FreeBSD.
>
> It's generic: you can monitor socket events, filesystem events
> such as `file ready to read', vnode operations such as `file has been
> deleted', `directory has been modified', signals delivered to a
> process, process creation/exit, etc.

This facility seems like fit for the kernel event mechanism we
were occasionally muttering about on lists :) Definitely, it'll
be a good thing to bring it into NetBSD. Thanks for the
integration work, Luke!

> I'd like to bring these into -current, #ifdef-ed appropriatly, to
> allow others to `bang' on the code as well.

#ifdef-ed for now; I think it makes sence to make this non-optional
eventually.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
 ***  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, dammit!  ***