Subject: Re: Fixing Linux emulated brk()
To: None <>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/15/2001 08:54:43
> As no other OS wants this, for now I would put it in p_emuldata.
> If we find any other use, we can move it later. Don't change MI
> code if there is no real need for it, and do the simplest change
> to achieve your goal.

Are we sure no other OS wants it? Getting a consistent break value
between two brk() calls does not seems a very OS dependent requirement.

Does the standards require brk() to return the requested value and to
set the actual break value beyond, on a page boundary? I wonder if it
would not be better to store the process idea of break for any process,
and return it when requested. (I may be telling nonsenses, I'm just

If I use p_emuldata: this is a char*, how should I use it? Should I
define a struct linux_emuldata and store a pointer on it there?

Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Il ne suffit pas de crier l'iMac, l'iMac! en sautant comme un cabri...