Subject: "syntax" error at startup with route/ifconfig binaries.
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Shiva Shenoy <shiva_s@yahoo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/2001 12:06:44
I have made some changes to the /sbin/ifconfig and
/sbin/route sources and replaced the binaries.

Now when I reboot, I get these synatx errors at
startup:

ifconfig: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
route: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

These seem to be coming from the /etc/rc.d/network
script. The lines route -n flush and ifconfig lo0...
seem to trigger this error.

I have tried adding fully path names to these lines as
/sbin/route and /sbin/ifconfig and I get the same
errors.

Even DHCP client seems to get the same error:
ifconfig: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

However if I do a manual "dhclient" after booting up,
dhclient works fine. route and the ifconfig commands
work just fine after the bootup.

Any ideas on what is casuing the "syntax" errors?

Thanks
Shiva Shenoy