Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: None <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/12/2001 16:34:28
On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 12:08:49PM -0800, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> I can't help feeling that ACL's are pointless if they can be by-passed
> so storing them in the FS and enforcing them in the kernel seem to me the
> only viable approach.  Using an FS overlay is fine though for developing
> the service.  As to the old fsck issue "don't do that" is probably the
> right solution ;-)

Would you please explain to me why ACLs stored in the physical filesystem
and enforced in the kernel cannot be bypassed if ACLs stored in a
layered filesystem and enforced in the kernel can?

Oh -- do please keep in mind, while constructing your response, that if
you can unmount one filesystem, you can presumably unmount them all.

Thor Lancelot Simon
    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron