Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/12/2001 12:28:02
On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 01:01:40PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>> [...]
>> There is an obvious downside here: networked filesystems.  If you can't
>> extend the basic NFS protocol, then you have a rather unpleasant choice
>
>I'm almost sure that Solaris can do ACL over NFS. If we add ACL to NetBSD,
>our NFS code should be compatible with existing implementations.

I've just checked, and it does indeed work over NFS (Solaris 6).  And as
far as I can see, there are no options (either mount or share) to turn
ACL functionality on (or off!).  It Just Works.

Futhermore, in an environment like ours (where we don't let ordinary
users log in to NFS fileservers) a system which didn't provide full
functionality for ACLs to be manipulated and viewed via NFS would be
more or less useless.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |