Subject: Re: Syscalls [was Re: Support for ACLs]
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/2001 21:39:47
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, der Mouse wrote:

# Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:41:21 -0500 (EST)
# From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
# To: tech-kern@netbsd.org
# Subject: Syscalls [was Re: Support for ACLs]
#
# > We could, for example, reclaim some of our syscall space
# > (setdomainname, uname, getdomainname have not been in use since 0.9
# > -- about 10 years ago!  How legacy can we get?).
#
# Why bother?  Are syscall numbers a scarce resource?

No, but it's cruft, along with stat43 and stat12.

I don't even support COMPAT_14, but that's probably a little extreme for
most.

Is there seriously stuff out there for which a binary exists without source
that needs to keep backwards binary compatibility?

# 					der Mouse

7.  Compatibility.  I booted a NetBSD kernel once which mistakenly mounted
the SunOS root filesystem.  It came up running ALL the binaries from SunOS
without a hitch.  I was amused.

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD:  Got source?